This article is a logical continuation of my earlier article on the awesome Application Package Manager.
Having a package manager to bundle various related apps, its dependencies and pages together is a great start but often times we also get asked a question if there is a way to include some sort of approval before app can be migrated from one environment to other and have a audit log of this request. AgilePoint NX activity group within Process Designer comes with built in support for designing the approval process around this and we have added new process activities related to packages, app permission, data entity permission, page permissions and package permissions.
However, we did not want customers to have to go through the effort of building this approval flow from scratch and hence we built an app which is publicly available for free on our AppStore.
This app allows authorized users to:
- Browse and select the source environment.
- Browse and select the destination environment.
- Browse and select the package from the repository on the source environment.
- Optionally decide whether to only import or post import allow publish of the package.
- Optionally set permissions in bulk for entities, pages and apps, at the destination.
- Send notification email to configuration management group.
This app comes with a layer of security allowing the entire operation to proceed only if required approval is provided. In addition, this app supports ‘any-to-any’ deployment. All the actions performed are logged and available for audit/record-keeping purpose.
Let’s look at this in action next.
Note: Please note that this video is recorded while this feature is in beta version. Some of the labels and icons might change by the time it goes GA but the general concept of configuring these activities would remain the same.