Back in 2018, we introduced Data Entity framework to enable citizen developers to rapidly model enterprise data without the need to have technical knowledge of SQL. Since then, thousands of citizen developers across the globe have used this feature to rapidly create enterprise apps.
The number of rows in a data entity can grow fast and there would be eventually a need to see a subset of rows filtered based on a specific criteria. We provided this feature for end users and app owners using the form-based apps where you could create custom search views, filtered views easily and this still would be the recommended approach as it takes all end user permissions into consideration and presents a nice UI. I had covered this topic in a separate blog post couple of years back.
However, there are certain times where app owners or admins might want to quickly view a filtered list of records directly on the Data Entity itself without having to create a search screen or a form-based app view. They are owners of the entity so they can navigate to the entity itself. It is just like admin can go to SQL Server Management Studio and run the queries instead of using search screen on the product UI, knowing they have permission to the table.
I am pleased to announce, as part of AgilePoint NX v8.0 Software Update 2 release, we have introduced new enhancement in the Data Entity module, specifically in the Data Tab where app owners and admins can create multiple personalized views on the data records to improve the performance and also access very specific and very customized information from the larger data set.
Here are some of the key features for this new enhancement
- The user can set one of the views from his list of views as a default view. This will replace the existing screen that is available by default.
- The user can limit the number of records to be fetched in the view.
- The user can create a filter for a specific column with a matching criteria. Only records that meet this criteria are shown. More filters can be created for other columns and all these filters can be cascaded together.
- The filter configuration screen provides options to sort and to group the final result.
- The data record may consist of several columns. The user can decide which one to see and which one to hide in the result.
- The user can also define the order in which he/she wants to see the columns.
- These views can be saved and even cloned to create new views quickly
Note: Please note that this video is recorded while this feature is in beta version. Some of the labels might change by the time it goes GA but the general concept of configuring these views would remain the same.
Let’s look at this feature in action.