One of the topics which comes up is that can I reuse the same workflow against multiple SharePoint site collections or even SharePoint farms. No one would prefer to clone apps for each site collection unless the logic is different.
Prior version of AgilePoint had SharePoint access token was scoped at a site collection level which is because authentication in SharePoint Multi-Tenant works at that level so reusability was only scoped to site collection i.e. if 2 lists in same site collection wanted to reuse same workflow that was possible but not across site collections. The challenge was unique to SharePoint in a way it is structured and scoped.
Product team has introduced a way of achieving this at an access token level without having to make any changes to workflow.
Please keep in mind that for reusable workflows atleast list/library structure and column names have to be same else your process logic configured in shapes won’t execute the desired way. List name itself could be different and can be set as variable.
Just a small caveat you might want to be aware of. The dynamic URL concept works for
- Multiple site collection on same office 365 as I showed in video
- Multiple site collections in SP OnPrem farm as long as access token acct has access to them
- Multiple site collections across multiple SP OnPrem farm as long as access token acct has access to them
However you cannot use same access token for office 365 and a SP OnPrem farm. Reason is that way Microsoft has written authentication for Office 365 is not the same as SP OnPrem. In Office 365 the only way to make use of multiple authentication is using SPOnlineCredentials class which does not work for SP OnPrem as that uses NetworkCredential object and coding is totally different.
As name suggest Microsoft have written this for Office 365 only for now. So same cannot work for SP OnPrem. So it will not be possible to share same access token for both Office 365 and OnPrem. Microsoft’s definition of hybrid is still at data level where same workflow can write to both Office 365 and OnPrme which was anyways possible with AgilePoint NX but authentication wise they have totally different mechanisms.
All Enterprise clients would be fine as if they usually have reusable workflow associated with multiple site collections, it will be either all OnPrem or all Office 365. However if someone has to use same workflow in Office 365 and OnPrem
- They can clone app and just keep one copy for Office 365 and other for OnPrem. However within Office 365 or OnPrem they can reuse it as much as they want.
- Create master workflow which detects if process is created from Office 365 or OnPrem and invoke different subprocess and use their own tokens.